Monday 27 May 2013

Rollin'

I feel like we can't really complain you know. Yes the weather has been atrocious just recently, it really has been ridiculous. But we've had two Bank Holidays in May and both have been filled with glorious sunshine.* (See the early May Bank Holiday post here) You have to give the weather credit for that. I am anyway - I don't want to anger it and seem ungrateful and be punished with an even worse summer than last year.

This Saturday The Person and I had to head into town on a little shopping errand. The Person had an unfortunate incident earlier in the week which saw him completely rip the crotch of his work trousers - apparently the act of getting out of a car was too much for his trouser seam, which ripped to reveal a hole so big you can fit your fist through it.

But I digress.

We were in town, the sun was shining and trousers bought, we had no other plans for the rest of the day.

This bright spark here came up with a smart idea. We would go and get sandwiches and go to Avenham Park, possibly my most favourite place in Preston, and sit in the sun for the afternoon.


And so we did. We sat up in an absolutely massive bank so we could survey our lands before us. The Person sat quietly and read, whilst I laid on my back and took photos of the sky, my new favourite hobby, and bugged him and complained that I was going to fall down the hill because it was too steep, and panicked that my crisp white skin was burning under the rays.

I then had the best idea I've ever had, which was to roll down the hill a la a small child. I wasn't too sure if this was a good idea or not, I'm not famed for my excellent judgement and my "Amezzing ideas" tend to end up in tears and pain but The Person assured me that I could just roll "a bit" and stop myself.

No. No you cannot roll a bit and stop yourself.

I can let you all know that gravity works my friends. It works like a dream. The second I set off I was out of control and all I could hear The Person's voice, getting fainter and fainter, going "Oh my god, STOP!"

I eventually came to a standstill, my head absolutely spinning and totally unable to stand.

And promptly went back up to the top and rolled down again.

Kids know where it's at my friends. They understand the FUN.

I eventually persuaded The Person to join in the fun and he gave it ago but I couldn't leave it well alone and, on my final roll down the hill, ended up with one leg of my jeans completely covered in mud and with bird poo on my t-shirt.

I don't regret a minute of it.


*Or at least they have been in the Midlands and in Preston. Just covering my back here folks.

3 comments:

  1. Happy bank hols, sounds like perfect fun to me. I've had a weekend of taking my bike to pieces and replacing hideously expensive bits of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your little anecdotes. They're always good for a laugh and a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm new to your blog but so pleased you enjoyed the rolling down the hill. I'm your age and I've never stopped climbing trees and rolling down hills and such. The only difference is that when I get up after a roll now I am dizzy and occasionally I start to feel sick but it's still just as much fun as when I was a kid. There's no fun in rolling a bit then stopping anyway - just go for it, even if you do roll through sheep poo, or thistles, or crash into a rock (as happens where I roll, in the peak district!).

    It has been lovely so have two sunny bank holiday weekends hasn't it! I don't mind the grey days either though if I'm honest, I love it when the moorlands are bleak.

    ReplyDelete

Go on. Say something. You know you want to...