Thursday 4 April 2013

The Tetris blanket: Progress Update 1

"Yeah I know I'll crochet myself a Tetris blanket, what a brilliant idea."

So here we are about a month later and I feel like a progress post is due.

I stand by that it is an awesome idea but I massively underestimated what a fiddly little pain in the arse it was going to be.

The joining. OH the joining. So much joining. So many weaving in of ends.

It is never-ending joining and weaving.

I have intense phases on this blanket. I'll do nothing for ages and then go into some kind of crochet frenzy, usually on a weekend, where I crochet up my squares and can see the blanket coming alive in my minds eye.

And then I remember about the weaving and the joining and I go into a decline.

I don't know why I procrastinate so bleeding much because when I force myself to sit down and get a wriggle on it never takes as long as I think it's going to. There's about 20 squares of each colour and weaving in the ends of the middle and the edge of all of them probably only takes an hour or so, if that. I just bang on an episode of something and before I know it, it's all finished.


I made some excellent progress during my stay at Norbury Manor where I actually didn't do as much crochet as I thought I would be still managed to weave in all the ends of my red squares, join them all together and whip up all my green squares. However, I have now done very little since I came back from the Manor and have been struck down by Weaving and Joining Doom.

My plan was to do all the Tetronimos and then begin on what will literally be the Black Phase of the blanket. There will be much crocheting of black squares and I really think I'll struggle with that one, although we'll see, I may be inspired.

As it stands at the time of writing I have crocheted up 5 out of the 7 Tetronimos and am just about to start the squares for my next.


I should have made some excellent progress given that I was off Easter and this week for my birthday celebrations (by the way it's today - happy birthday to me and god bless the power of scheduled posting.) but given the Easter Read-a-thon and...you know....my birthday celebrations, there hasn't been a lot of time for crocheting.

I think part of my reticence is that I am dreading the joining of everything together. This is not going to be an easy, joining some lines together and then joining  those lines together, I'm going to have to break it all down into sections and go at it very slowly and probably swear and have a little cry along the way.

 Those pesky ends

But I will soldier on through because it is an awesome idea and after finally plucking up the courage to Google "Tetris crochet" I firmly believe my blanket is going to be the shizz.

Now where was I?

Oh yes, joining and weaving...


For those who wanted to know, I have decided to go with Layout 2 from my previous blog post)

6 comments:

  1. I think it's a genius idea and just think how awesome it will be when you've finished it and it's just casually on the sofa and someone comes round and goes "omg that's awesome, where did you get that?" and you can say "I made it, I'm freaking ace!" and they will be in awe forever of your Joining and Weaving skillZ.
    And that sentence had the most ands in it, ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing great, I'm sure it's not going to be all that bad joining and weaving and once it's finished everyone will be admiring it for the rest of time x

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I cannot wait to see how this looks when it is finished, I just know it is going to be awesome!

    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to steal this when it's done, k?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was telling my husband the other day that you were crocheting a tetris blanket (he loves that game) he was mightly impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is a fab idea but, much as it pains me to admit it, my ability to crochet with dark colours in the evening (which is pretty much the only chance I get), never mind the fiddly ends and joining, is seriously trying with middle aged eyesight!! Look forward to seeing the finished blanket :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go on. Say something. You know you want to...